Ballinasloe People of the Year Awards acknowledge outstanding people and organisations who, through their commitment to participating in community and voluntary activities, have had a positive and significant impact on the quality of life of their communities in Ballinasloe.
“Many voluntary groups and individuals make invaluable contributions to our community. Our wish is that such people are formally recognised so that we can acknowledge their efforts and achievements”, stated Jacinta Divilly Town Team Facilitator.” And we as the town team are appealing to everyone that if they know of any persons or groups who they feel go above and beyond the call of duty in their voluntary roles to ensure they nominate them in the relevant categories .”
The awards recognise and celebrate the voluntary work that individuals, groups, organisations and schools contribute to their community. There are eight award categories this year with a new category “Business Community Spirit Award” added to the line up. 1.Arts, Culture and Heritage Award This category recognises the voluntary contribution of individuals, schools and groups to the continuing development of the Arts, Culture & Heritage in Ballinasloe. It covers a wide range of activities and events that contribute to the enhancement of the quality of life in Ballinasloe.
Ballinasloe Musical Society
Ballinasloe October Fair Committee
Ballinasloe Town Hall CLG
Larry Reynolds Féile Cheoil Committee
WINNER: Lawrencetown Community Development-Heritage & Tidy Towns Focus Group
Mary O' Connell
2. Sports and Recreation Volunteer Award This category recognises individuals or groups in Ballinasloe who give their time voluntarily to support and encourage participation in sport and other recreation activities Sports and Recreation is important in creating a healthier lifestyle for the whole community.
Frankie Flynn (GAA)
WINNER: John Donnelly (Cycling)
John Mc Kenna (Chess)
Marion Ruane (Fit Towns)
Noel Dillon (GAA)
Stephen Roche (Cycling)
3. Sports and Recreation Team Award This category recognises specific sports teams who have excelled in their chosen sport and represented their town with distinction. Sports and Recreation is important in creating a healthier lifestyle for the whole community
Ballinasloe GAA U 13 Boys Hurling
Ballinasloe GAA U 14 Boys Football
Ballinasloe GAA U 14 Girls Football
WINNER: Ballinasloe Itosu-Kai Karatedo Ireland
Ballinasloe Town A.F.C. Senior Team
Creagh National School Gaelic Games
Creagh National School Spike Ball Team
Gaelic For Mothers and Others
Padraig Pearses Senior Hurling Team
U 18 & U 17's Connaught Rugby Representatives
4. Sports and Recreation Individual Award This category recognises specific sports individuals who have excelled in their chosen sport and represented their town with distinction. Sports and Recreation is important in creating a healthier lifestyle for the whole community
Aoibheann Reilly & Meabh Deely (Rugby)
David Murray (GAA)
WINNER: Heather Payne (Soccer)
Jordan Carr (Soccer)
Shane Jennings (GAA &Rugby)
5. Young Person’s Award This category recognises the contribution that young people make voluntarily in our community, through their work within different community groups. It also acknowledges the outstanding achievements of individuals or groups who proudly represent Ballinasloe in a very broad range of events or activities including educational, cultural and community events. (Age Limit 21 or under).
WINNER: Julianna Green & Laura Frehill
6. Social, Community & Civic Special Recognition Award This category recognises voluntary groups or individuals that have made a special contribution to life in Ballinasloe and hinterland through the works which they have undertaken .It may be in respect of ongoing work, or specific project that has made a significant impact on their community and its people or working with specific groups. This category is to recognise those that continue to work towards making Ballinasloe a better place to live
Ballinasloe Fit Town
WINNER: Ballinasloe Social Services
East Galway & Midlands Cancer Support
Eileen & Seamus Finneran
Facilitators of Climb Programme
Fatima Ali Bakoush
Lawrencetown Community Development Group
Mary Whelehan, Nora Flaherty & Ann Donoghue Hillcrest Residents Association
Micheál Kelly Civil Defence
Teresa Kelly Ballinasloe Eagles
7. Business Community Spirit Award This category recognises local businesses that go above and beyond the call of duty to support and contribute to their community. This can be through supporting or contributing to community groups directly or by offering supports or services to help different organisations and community groups in the area.
Downey’s Bar & Restaurant
WINNER: Gullane’s Hotel & Conference Centre
8. Hall of Fame Award (Lifetime Achievement Accolade) This category recognises individuals from Ballinasloe whom have achieved excellence within their lifetime and have been successful in the field of either sporting, professional, business, entrepreneurial or artistic endeavours.
WINNER: Liam Kelly
Ballinasloe Town Team is managed by Ballinasloe Area Development Company Ltd and comprises of representatives from local Retailers, Vintners, Tidy Towns, Schools, Community Groups, Sports Organisations and Local Councillor.
Proudly supported by:
The Town Team was set up by BACD Ltd. to revive the fortunes of Ballinasloe and its hinterland. With the main focus to build on the town’s many strengths, change existing negative perceptions and bring about measurable improvements in the town centre economy and its wider social value.
Ballinasloe Area Community Development Ltd. Ballinasloe Enterprise Centre Creagh Ballinasloe Co. Galway Tel: 090 9646516
All generic photos and images have been sourced and are free of copyright or are clip art images free of copyright. Photos of Ballinasloe have been donated by BEC. If you have any photos that you would like included on the website please email us