Taken from - Celtic Cousins Website
SLATER'S DIRECTORY OF IRELAND - 1846: BALLINASLOE
"A respectable market and post town, partly in the parish of Creagh, barony of Moycarnon, county of Roscommon, but chiefly in the parish of Kilcloony, barony of Clonmacnowen, county of Galway, 91 miles w. from Dublin, 45 e. from Galway, 25 n.w. from Parsonstown, and 15 s.w. from Athlone; eligibly and pleasantly situated on the river Suck which divides the town into two unequal parts, of which the larger is in the county of Galway. The passage over the river is accomplished by a succession of bridges and causeways resting on sixteen arches, and extending five hundred yards. The streets are well paved and gas lighted, and the principal shops and hotels are, in like manner, illuminated.
The houses have a neat and comfortable aspect, most of them being whitewashed annually. Among the prominent business branches are the corn mills on the river, an extensive coach factory, one for farming implements, some breweries, and tan yards. There are two banking establishments, and the same number of hotels, for families and commercial gentlemen, viz.-Craig's in Main-street and Gill's in Dunlo-street. In 1828 was opened a branch from the Grand Canal, which has proved a great benefit to the town. Petty sessions are held every Wednesday and Saturday, in a court-house attached to the bridewell. There are several valuable public institutions which belong to Ballinasloe, and are well supported by the inhabitants and other means-a list of them is appended to the directory of the town. The lunatic asylum for the province of Connaught and the union workhouse are well regulated establishments-the former was built in 1843, of an expense of more than £27,000; the latter in 1811, at a cost of £9,600.
A farming society for bestowing premiums, a loan fund, a dispensary, and two free schools are established and well sustained. A new agricultural hall is now being erected, which promises to be commodious and ornamental. The annual meetings of the agricultural society are held here at the large October fair, and the Ballinasloe Horticultural Society for the province of Connaught, holds its meetings in March. It was founded in 1833, under the patronage of the Earl of Clancarty. The seat of the nobleman, Garbally Park, is in the immediate vicinity of the town. The mansion, which is situated in a well-wooded demesne, was re-built in 1819, and contains a fine collection of paintings. The public are indulged with free access both to the house and the grounds.
The church is a beautiful stone edifice, erected in 1843, by the ecclesiastical commissioners, and situated on an eminence on the west on the west side of the town, upon the site of a former structure. It constitutes a rectory and vicarage, including the united parishes of Creagh, Kilcloony, and Taughmaconnell. There are places of worship for Roman Catholics, Presbyterians and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. The market days are Wednesday and Saturday, the latter being the principal. Fairs May 7th, July 4th and October 4th to the 10th; this last is considered the largest in Ireland, for farming stock, all kinds of manufactured goods and wool. The average number of black cattle brought to this mart for sale is 12,000, and of sheep 90,000. The town contained, in 1841, 4,934 inhabitants."
To see more - please visit this webpage
If you have you any news - email us!