Due to a high demand in requests, the Town Team have agreed to EXTEND the deadline of submissions for the People of the Year Awards until Wednesday, October 14th at 10am.
Under the umbrella of BACD Ltd a “Town Team” has been formulised in conjunction People and Places Ltd in the UK. The Town Team is made up of a spectrum of volunteers across the business and community sectors covering Ballinasloe and its full hinterland.
Following publication of the Town Benchmarking Report, the town team are striving to carry out both short-term and long-term actions to ultimately improve & revitalize Ballinasloe and its hinterland. These awards are one of the projects being carried out under the bench marking process, with the aim to acknowledge the tremendous amount of voluntary work carried out in Ballinasloe which forms the backbone of our community.
In Association with Ballinasloe Credit Union
Supported by Shearwater Hotel & Ballinasloe Town Team
Town Team Mission Statement
“Our vision is to revitalize the town and its hinterland, enabling it to achieve its true potential, by creating awareness of all the positive assets we currently have in the townland and identifying new initiatives that will enhance and expand on what we already have.
To encourage positive suggestions and interaction from all local sporting, cultural, voluntary, agricultural, educational and retail groups, along with local, regional and national agencies by progressing ideas and actions together and working in co-operation with one another.
We will prioritise attainable objectives that will rejuvenate our town and help it achieve its true potential, making Ballinasloe a better place in which we live and rear our children - and foster a friendly competitive sustainable town to do business in and visit”
Many voluntary groups and individuals make invaluable contributions to our community. Our wish is that such people are formally recognised so that we can publicly acknowledge their efforts and achievements. It is also our wish to honour very special and talented individuals or groups who have achieved excellence and represented our community nationally or internationally.
Thank you to our Main Sponsor Ballinasloe Credit Union. The event is also being supported by the Shearwater Hotel and the town team.
The 2015 People of the Year Awards will acknowledge outstanding people and organisations who, through their commitment to participating in community and voluntary activities, have had a positive and significant impact on the quality of life of their communities in Ballinasloe.
There are so many people making a difference in our community this is an opportunity to formally recognise their achievements under the format of People of the Year Awards. We encourage you to please put their names forward for an Award.
What are the People of the Year Awards?
The Awards recognise and celebrate the voluntary work that individuals, groups, organisations & schools contribute to their community. There are 7 Award categories in total. We are now seeking nominations for each Award category.
What are the 7 Categories?
1. Social and Community Support Award
This category covers a broad spectrum of activity from voluntary groups and individuals who work with specific groups such as people with disabilities, the elderly and people less fortunate that others. This award acknowledges those who contribute significantly to the fabric of our community.
2. Arts, Cultural and Heritage Award
This category recognises the contribution of individuals, schools and groups to the continuing development of the Arts, Culture & Heritage in Ballinasloe. It covers a wide range of activities and events that contribute to the enhancement of the quality of life in Ballinasloe.
3. Sports and Recreation Award
This category recognises individuals or groups in Ballinasloe who give their time voluntarily to support and encourage participation in sport and other recreation activities. This Award also includes specific sports teams and individuals who have excelled in their chosen sport and represented their town with distinction. Sports and Recreation is important in creating a healthier lifestyle for the whole community.
4. Young Person’s Award
This category recognises the contribution that young people make in our community, through their work within different community groups. It also acknowledges the achievements of individuals or groups who proudly represent Ballinasloe in sporting, cultural or community events. (Age Limit 18 or under).
5. Civic Pride Award
This category recognises voluntary individuals, resident associations and other groups in Ballinasloe that have shown a sense of civic pride within their community by undertaking a wide range of activities in their local area that has made a difference and who continue to work towards making Ballinasloe a better place to live.
6. Community Group Special Recognition Award
This category recognises voluntary groups and individuals that have made a special contribution to life in Ballinasloe and hinterland through the works which they have undertaken which may be deemed to go above and beyond the normal call of duty. It may be in respect of ongoing work, or specific project that has made a significant impact on their community and its people.
7. Hall of Fame Award
This category recognises individuals from Ballinasloe whom have achieved excellence and are successful in the field of either sporting, professional, business, entrepreneurial or artistic endeavours.
How do I Nominate?
1.There is one nomination form for all categories. Click HERE to download it a .pdf version. For a version in MS Word, click HERE.
2. You state which category you are making the nomination on the form.
3. You can make a nomination by downloading the nomination form, completing it and emailing or posting it back.
4. Read the questions carefully. Section A is information regarding the group or person being nominated. Section B is information regarding the persons making the nomination. Each nomination requires a proposer and a seconder to validate the nomination
5. You may submit extra information. The assessment will be based on the information provided on the form and any extra information given.
6. Closing date for receipt of nomination forms is 10am Wedesday 14th October 2015.
What Happens then?
1. The Awards will be independently assessed after the closing date and winners will be chosen.
2. All Shortlisted nominees will be invited to The People of the Year Awards Ceremony on the evening of the 12th of November 2015 where the winners will be announced and presented with their Awards.
What is the Prize?
All Shortlisted Nominees from each Category will be presented with a Scroll of Achievement and each category winner will be presented with a specially commissioned prestigious Award.
Are there any Conditions?
The following conditions apply:
1. The People of the Year Awards will be held on Thursday, 12th of November 2015 in The Shearwater Hotel. The nominees must be present on the night where the winners will be announced.
2. Groups and individuals may nominate themselves.
3. Nominations will only be considered on the official nomination form and received by the closing date on Wednesday October 14th 2015.
4. Nomination forms to be either submitted typed on the downloaded form and emailed to the email address given, or posted/dropped in to Ballinasloe Enterprise Centre.
5. For queries please contact:
Ballinasloe Enterprise Centre
Tel: 090 9646516
Deadline for receipt of Nominations is 10am Wednesday October 14th 2015
If you have any news items about Ballinasloe, please use this link to contact us